img Virtual visit img
Muzeum v Ivančicích
Široká 1
664 91 Ivančice
tel. 546 451 489
fax 546 451 404

About the Museum of the Brno Region

About the Museum of the Brno Region
      The region around the city of Brno is marked by natural, landscape, social and cultural diversity. This is also reflected in the activities and initiatives of the Museum of the Brno Region. It was established in the 1960s, then as the Brno-Country District Museum, by merging several institutions independent until then, today branches of the Museum of the Brno Region. These include the Podhorácké museum, Předklášteří, (founded in 1929) to the northwest of Brno, Šlapanice Museum (founded in 1934) to the southeast of Brno, the “Cairn of Peace“ Memorial (completed just before the outbreak of WW I, handed over to the public in 1923) at the centre of the former Slavkov battlefield, Ivančice Museum to the southeast of the Moravian capital (opened in 1894) and finally the Museum of literature in Moravia. The latter, seated in the Rajhrad Benedictine Monastery to the south of Brno, has been in operation since 2005.
The oldest branch of the Brno Regional Museum is Ivančice Museum. Its foundation actually originated in connection with a massive fund-raising activity within the preparation of an Ethnographic Czech-Slavonic Exhibition held in Prague in 1895. The Museum’s collections include large wholes of archaeological artefacts illuminating the history of the town, like those belonging to the former Moravian Church in Ivančice or a valuable collection of tin dishes, pottery, a collection of weapons and collection artefacts relating to the older as well as later history of the town. The museum also houses a collection presenting the life and work of a well-known Ivančice native, painter Alfons Mucha. The museum collections are stored in the Rajhrad monastery, exhibitions organized by Ivančice Museum are held in the gallery of the Alfons Mucha Memorial in Ivančice.
      The Podhorácké museum is located in a very small, though widely known municipality of Předklášteří which owes its fame to Porta coeli (Heaven’s Gate), the Cistercian convent founded in 1232 by Queen Constance. In the middle of the 1950s the Podhorácké museum moved to the Convent precincts from the nearby city of Tišnov. In 2010, the Convent was declared National Cultural Monument. Similarly as with Ivančice Museum, the foundation of the Podhorácké Museum, too, was first attempted in connection with the ethnographic exhibition in Prague. Formally it was founded in 1929 and started to build its collections in a methodical and ongoing manner. The core of the collections originates from the 1950s and 1960s. Unique is the extensive collection of minerals, rich are also the collections showing household furnishings of mainly middle-class homes in the Podhorácký region, objects relating to trade and handicrafts as well as evidence of life in the spheres of business, art and education, including folk culture at the Highland foothills.
      The town of Šlapanice, where another branch of the Brno Regional Museum has its seat, is practically within sight of the city of Brno. It is the centre of an area to the southeast of the Moravian capital, whose remarkable past goes back to prehistoric times – large burial grounds were explored here from as far back as the Later Stone Age and the Early Bronze Age, more recently a burial site from the Migration Period at the nearby Žuráň Hill. Šlapanice Museum only keeps a small part of archaeological finds from the mentioned prehistoric burial places, much larger is its collection of ethnographic artefacts and the material culture evidence of past generations in the area to the east of Brno. A separate section is formed by the collection of Šlapanice native, painter Alois Kalvoda. In its exhibition activities, the Museum consistently focuses on preparation of accompanying programmes for children and closely cooperates with schools.
      The Museum of the Brno Region also operates two outstanding monuments. The dominant feature of the Austerlitz battlefield is the Cairn of Peace Monument, built from the initiative of Father Alois Slovák from 1910 – 1914 to honour victims of wars. An unparalleled concept of its time and the first war memorial with a peace mission ever built. Today it is a cultural monument. Adjoining the Cairn of Peace, a modest exposition on the Austerlitz battle was opened in 1925. The collections of the memorial to victims of the “Battle of The Three Emperors" (2 December 1805), though rather small (their volume and quality were affected, among other adverse influences, by several unhappy reorganizations more than fifty years ago), have been rapidly growing in recent years. On the Bicentenary of the Battle an innovative multimedia exhibition was opened in the Monument’s museum, which attracts a permanent interest of visitors from all over the world.
      In 2005 a new location started its activities within the Brno Regional Museum – Museum of literature in Moravia. Within the ancient walls of the Rajhrad Monastery, declared a cultural heritage, the history of the proverbial Benedictine wisdom meets and blends with the older and present-time literature originating in Moravia. Literature, old literary documents, have always been inseparable from the Rajhrad history and the Museum of literature in Moravia continues this tradition. In addition to its regular exhibition activities the museum keeps extending its collection of literary works relating to Moravian history and geography, which also includes visual artefacts associated with book production. A close communication with children and youth has been provided for several years now by a literary competition called ´The Hidden Memory of Moravia´ and its complementary programme, a workshop of creative writing named ´Taming of the Literary Muse´. Over the short period of its operation, the literary museum has established a firm position in the spiritual life of Moravia and become a destination of those interested in its cultural wealth.
      The Museum of the Brno Region is a member of the Association of Czech and Moravian-Silesian Museums and Galleries and of the Czech Committee of ICOM (international organization of museums). While fulfilling its mission, the Museum predominantly focuses on creating and expanding its collections, acquisition of further evidence of the historical and (to a lesser degree) natural development of the region and care of the rich collections created as a result of indefatigable effort of several generations of museum workers. And of course on the presentation of collection objects as well as results of the studies of its specialist workers - and their use in events organized for adult and youth visitors. As a very meaningful effort must be mentioned continuous cooperation between the Museum and schools. The long-term research tasks of specialist workers include the documentation of certain aspects of the region’s past, whether at its centres or outside of them. Research results are presented at exhibitions and in other forms such as articles published in the specialist journals as well as general press, at lectures, discussions, “children’s workshops“ and the like.
      The Brno Regional Museum endeavours to fulfil its mission in all the respects. At each branch location a specialist worker is employed as a historian specializing in the relevant place and region; with the exception of Ivančice this person is at the same time an administrator of a branch depository. Two ethnologists, an art historian and archaeologist are available for the whole Brno region. At present the Museum has 49 full-time employees, of them 18 specialist workers, 14 guides, 5 technical-economic workers and 12 employees in manual professions.



created by: Trinet a.s., design Václav Houf
200-310   350-050   70-532   200-310   70-411   100-105  ,""" 1Z0-803   SY0-401   000-080   70-480   200-101   70-461   220-802   1Z0-060   ITILFND   000-017   EX300   200-125  ,""" CRISC   1z0-808   CAP   ITILFND   210-060   OG0-093   101   400-201   220-802   PR000041   300-206   200-101   74-678   220-801   MB6-703   9L0-012   CRISC   300-209   70-488   2V0-621   2V0-620   200-120   MB6-703   642-999   CISM   9L0-066   ICGB   70-413   MB2-704   352-001   VCP550   MB2-704   700-501   70-346   70-463   CCA-500   352-001   PR000041   000-104   70-488   JN0-360   JN0-102   70-483   350-001   CISSP   JN0-102   1Z0-804   CAS-002   70-533   642-732   400-201   102-400   300-209   640-911   1z0-808   LX0-103   300-101   70-411   9L0-012   70-532   c2010-652   1Y0-201   70-461   200-125  ,""" ICBB   640-911   640-911   70-480   000-089   350-029   1Z0-803   000-080   100-105  , """ 300-070   EX300   640-916   350-001   210-065   400-051   2V0-621   200-120   M70-101   LX0-103   1Z0-804   200-310   SY0-401   352-001   300-320   100-101   810-403   MB2-707   N10-006   200-120   CISSP   810-403   300-075   210-060   210-260   300-075   210-060   642-999   300-115   70-461   MB2-704   MB2-707   810-403   210-060   70-533   1Z0-060   EX200   350-018   1Z0-803   210-260   400-101   400-101   810-403   810-403   CISSP   200-120   N10-006   CISSP   300-320   100-101   200-310   210-060   810-403   350-018   300-101   300-206   300-070   ADM-201   210-260   400-101   MB2-707   ADM-201   350-018   200-310   SY0-401   350-018   400-201   SY0-401   200-120   300-208   70-687   N10-006   500-260   210-260   200-310   70-410   400-051   350-018   810-420   640-875   70-643   200-125   810-403   210-260   70-460   200-101   1Y0-300   400-051   642-467   350-018   400-101   SY0-401   642-181   MB2-707   200-001   200-120   MB2-707   SY0-401   2v0-621   70-464   200-120   CAS-002   9L0-066   350-050   642-999   220-801   74-678   642-732   400-051   ICGB   c2010-652   70-413   101-400   220-902   350-080   210-260   70-246   1Z0-144   3002   AWS-SYSOPS   70-347   PEGACPBA71V1   220-901   70-534   LX0-104   070-461   HP0-S42   1Z0-061   200-120   70-533   N10-006   350-060   210-060   200-310   400-201   300-320   CISSP   70-410   700-505   70-680   mb2-707   400-101